Saturday 5 September 2009

Mulago musings

Well, it's been a week and a bit. Have been able to focus a bit more on the clinical side of things, although I still have a couple of guidelines to write, which are a bit distracting. Started getting my hands dirty, even though I have been trying to 'observe' and get some idea how things run at Mulago, and also how specific conditions are managed. Delivered a set of twins with forceps, not commonly done here as few people are trained to use them, because there was no other equipment. Feel like I'm beginning to settle as I'm getting to know the doctors and midwives, and getting the opportunity to show people what skills I have. We had the midwife of the month award on Friday, which is a brilliant initivative, set up by the previous fellow. It's an award involving a sizeable amount of money and offers a massive incentive for improving morale and practice. The press came, so I'll be scouting for clippings and posting them here if I can.

Moving into my new house this weekend, when I think it will suddenly sink in that I'm not actually on holiday! This week I will be mostly registering with the medical council and trying to sort out a work visa, which I am led to believe is a challenge at the best of times.

Haven't done much else since I last updated you, but I do feel much more at home here. The mosquitoes are biting... I was winning before. Thanks goodeness for nets and Lariam! No other huge news at this point. Please stay in touch with all your news.... A couple of personal messages...

Ben, get well soon, hope you're better in time for Barcelona
Vicky, happy 21st!
Gran and Grandad, HELLOOOO!!!! Missing you and love you millions, hope the knee operation goes well

xxxx

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the birthday wishes :)
    Sounds like you're having a good time and starting to settle in. Gran and granda are enjoying reading your blog. Gran takes it to the centre every week!
    Starting work on monday so it'll be m&s discount all round soon :)
    Good luck with moving house xxx

    ReplyDelete

Constructive comments and messages from family and friends welcome